Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Letters That Sing

There is nothing more refreshing than getting a hand-written letter. You come home all drained and tired and there it is!
Staring at you, half winking, on the table with an "India-Bharat" stamp on it!!
It just turns the day around for me. Sometimes it is written by my granny and sometimes by Ameya or Aai. It contains nothing spectacular. It talks about this and that and sometimes ( especially if Ameya writes it) it goes on and on till you fall off to sleep on it!
There are other kinds too. They have been teaching me how to sing, or at least how to listen to Good Music. :)
Music has introduced a few very good friendships to my life.
I get the same refreshing happiness when an email comes with an mp3 attachment.

I listen to all kinds of music. I have no strong opinions about music.
( Which kind of makes me wonder if I have strong opinions about anything else either!)
Over the past year or so however I have made a conscious attempt to listen to a lot of music and widen my vocabulary. In this conscious attempt I have unconsciously made a few very good friends. :)
So I think I should tell my readers about my most influential Music Gurus.

Charu
He is the guy who always leaves a bitter-sweet comment on my blog. Sometimes he gets upset about my grammar and sometimes about my punctuations. Sometimes he thinks I am just putting up an act and sometimes he praises my writing without any reservations. He taught me Pink Floyd and Jethro Tull. Well not just that. He taught me a lot more about good music. Sometimes he made me listen to a song and then we had this discussion about why I like it. Then he used to go into a sermon about the singer or the band. He is the kinds who knows composers like average guys knows football players and their clubs. He will give you a comprehensive summary of everything the band has played. :) It wont be just statistics though! he would be equally passionate about every song. :)
He gave me some of the songs that are always on repeat on my playlists.
He gave me all of the Steve Miller Band which I listen to at least once a day. :)

Sukhbir
He posts comments as "Intendo" on my blog.
He is one of the very few authentic Rockstars I know. He has a class of music that he likes. He picks his favorites with great care and shares them I guess, with even greater caution. He has a band of his own called " The Spacebarres" and I was fortunate enough to attend one of his performances in Pune. He introduced the blues and the jazz to my collection. Every song he sends has a mind of its own. He seems to be more of the introspective kinds so his collection is always soulful and classy. :)
He has sent me Mark Knopfler,Norah Jones, Eric Clapton and Yanni!
It has been one of the happiest music lessons I ever took!
Although when I was in India, I could never talk to him at length when we met because of my near-atrocious Hindi. :)

Then there are a few very good friends I have who always attach a song with their emails. Sometimes, we try to outwit each other by sending better songs with every email. Music has helped me salvage a few good friendships too.
When you run, your music plays in your ears without expecting a lot of attention from you. A few days later however when you take the same walk or go by the same river you hum along the song that you so furiously played when you went past it the last time. :)
Just like that people who talk Good Music become a part of your life too!
Cheers!!

4 comments:

sam said...

well i believe gud music make gud souls..and the character of music u play talks a lot abt ur own pesonality i feel..cause music strongly stimulates ur sympathetic outflow and under its influence,u come to ur own self without any inhibitions.
i'm getting too scientific ;)i think i'll end here..since this mail is dedicated to ur gurus i salaam them to educate my sweetheart on different genres of music hehe :)luv ya

Saee said...

Hey sam..you have become a regular now!! :)
Thanks for the comment. :)
Love ya !

शिरीष said...

सई तू म्हणतेस ते अगदी खर आहे.पोस्टाने आलेल्या व हाताने लिहेलेल्या पत्रांची मजा वेगळीच असते.(म्हणजे ईमेल वाईट असते अस नव्हे!)
मी पण आता अधून मधून तस पत्र पाठवीन.गाण्यांबद्द्ल आता मी काय लिहू,समीरने एवढी सुंदर डेफीनेशन व काँमेंट लिहले आहेत त्यामुळे मी आता फ्क्त मम म्हणतो.

Saee said...

Thanks baba..
glad to have you back. :)